2015-16 Ag Leadership Expectations
Maintain your blog and respond to prompts as assigned and by the due date.
SAE records up to date using AET. We’ll be working together to get our records punched in and up to date. Your Records will be a portion of your quarter grade. Please work along with the rest of the class instead of waiting until the end of the quarter/semester! We’ll get started on records very soon. We’ll catch Sam and Derick up as soon as our FFA roster is completed and integrated into AET.
Proficiency Applications: We”ll be working through the application together, a little at a time. Proficiency awards come with CASH prizes for first through third placings on the state level. Our members could be very competitive in Proficiency awards. This is one of the Officer Team’s goals for the year. Proficiency apps will be completed online within AET. The more thorough you are in recording things for your SAE, the easier the process will be.
Seniors (with three years or more of membership – counting this year) will complete the State FFA Degree Application – due January 13, 2016. Some of you should consider completing the Star battery for either star in placement, agribusiness, agriscience or farmer. The star battery requires quite a bit of writing and 6 photos and captions, start early! Our work on records in AET will help to streamline this process as the information will simply “fly” into the application which we will be completing online.
Complete the BIG Idea. Your entry is due October 26, 2015.
We’ll be working on an Agricultural Advocacy initiative throughout the year. Our efforts will be to educate ourselves and others and dispel some of the common agricultural myths floating around out there. **The Soybean Video Contest may or may not be happening this year. The last I heard they had not decided yet. If they do host the contest, it will fit well into our Ag Advocacy Initiative.
Prepare for Leadership CDEs – whether competing or not, everyone will complete at least the following prior to November 4, 2015: We will discuss how these items will be handed in.
Choose two or more from this list: **If you are preparing to compete at nationals – i.e. Ag Comm., Ag Issues, and Natural Resources – you must complete ONE or more items from this list. I’d like you to invest your time in preparing to do your best in Louisville in October!
Rules for all Leadership CDEs are posted here. Check the rules for the CDE you are working on. Ag Sales Products, pricing and discounts won’t be available until mid September. I will let you know when they have been posted.
Job Interview job descriptions are here.
Ag Communications Media Plan Scenario is here.
- Complete the letter of application and resume for the Job Interview CDE. Jobs are posted here
- Prepare for the Ag Broadcasting CDE. Have three 30 second commercials for fictitious agricultural products written and memorized. Develop an outline for a 4 minute broadcast complete with times for each section (markets, weather, news etc).
- Using the 2013 District and State Extemp Speaking Topic list, available here, collect and compile reference materials for each topic in preparation for the Extemp Speaking CDE. (Print articles on the various topics and compile in a folder or notebook.)
- Prepare a written manuscript for the prepared public speaking CDE – 6-8 minutes in length on an agricultural topic. In your own words with a works cited/bibliography page. No plagiarism! Check the rules for proper formatting (MLA vs APA)
- Form a team and complete all necessary product and presentation for the:
- Ag Communications CDE (team of 3) Prompt for this year’s Media Plan is linked above.
- Prepare for the Ag Sales CDE – research the specified products, develop a portfolio of product information for your category. Develop sales pitches for each of the products in your category. Search for and study Written tests
- Market Plan CDE (team of 3)
- Ag Issues (team of 7)
Our District includes 10 chapters. To advance to the State Leadership CDEs you must place in the top three individuals or top two teams. District Leadership CDEs will be held Monday, November 16th after school here at West Central. Each Chapter may enter two individuals and one team in each CDE at the District Level. We will attend preliminary CDEs in Harrisburg on November 5th and Jackrabbit Invite November 10th.
These requirements and expectations are subject to change at the discretion of the instructor!